- Half a head of cabbage (+-1k) - very finely shredded
- 1 1/2 cups (+-300g) celery leaves - finely chopped
- 1/2 large onion or one small onion (+-80g)
- very finely chopped (Part of the secret is shredding all the veggies very finely. The results are well worth the effort.)
Place this into large bowl. Next prepare the dressing:
- 50ml good quality vinegar
- 200ml sunflower oil (you can use olive oil but it does change the taste a little)
- 15ml (1 tablespoon) fine white sugar or honey
- 10ml fine white salt (more or less to taste if desired)
- 5ml fine white pepper this is also part of the integral taste of the salad: using ground black pepper alters the taste try it another time as a variation!
- 2 1/2 ml mustard powder
Combine all the dressing ingredients in a 500ml bottle with a tightly fitting lid. Vigorously shake the bottle until mixture is completely blended and has the consistency of warm honey.
Pour this over the cabbage salad. Toss and allow the mixture to stand for at least 10 minutes in the fridge.
Now serve and eat!
What I like about this recipe is that it also contains celery leaves. Celery can help suppress your appetite, helping you slim. It also has a calming effect on the central nervous system.
Some early studies on animals link celery to low blood pressure. This is because it contains 'pthalides', compounds which can help relax your artery muscles.
These compounds also reduce your levels of stress hormone, which help keep your blood vessels relaxed and open.
And it's the leaves that have the highest concentration of the good stuff, so the Honeymoon Cabbage Salad is a perfect way to eat your leaves!