The Aims Of The McCarrison Society
The Purpose of the Society is to assemble scientific knowledge on nutrition and health that is free from economic and political pressures with the object of securing the physical and mental health of future generations.
We work to promote health by advocating sound nutrition according to the teaching of the late Sir Robert McCarrison, who believed that the most important factor in restoring health is healthy nutrition, and the Society was formed to honour him. He carried out the very first experiments to demonstrate the effect of nutrition on the epidemiology of disease.
We work to:
1. Promote health by advocating sound nutrition according to the teaching of the late Sir Robert McCarrison, who believed that the most important factor in restoring health is healthy nutrition.
2. Collect and collate information and evidence from all over the world regarding the relationship between nutrition and health.
3. Encourage and initiate further research projects in the field of nutrition.
4. Urge the inclusion of nutrition as a mandatory subject in medical departments and encourage the teaching of nutrition in schools, according to the principles developed by Sir Robert McCarrison.
5. Disseminate relevant information through conferences, lectures and by liaison with other scientific bodies and the agricultural community.
6. Fund, where appropriate, the publication of books and papers and make relevant information available to the news media.
7. Provide speakers to take part in media debates intended to inform a wide audience of the importance of nutrition in maintaining good health.
Join the Society and help to strengthen an independent organization that aims to protect our food and nutrition and safeguard the physical and mental health of children yet to be conceived.
The McCarrison Society supports and organizes conferences and lectures in order to disseminate new research and relevant information and by liaison with other scientific bodies. The Scottish Group also organizes conferences primarily in Scotland. For more details please contact us. Most of the proceedings of such conferences will be published in the journal "Nutrition and Health".
EXAMPLES OF PAST CONFERENCE TOPICS
November 1993: "The Health of the Nation depends on the Mother and Child", Royal Society of Medicine.
January 1996: "Nutrition and Health of Children as Global Responsibility", Medical Society of London.
September 2001: "Post-genome: Health Implications for Research and Food Policy", Medical Society of London.
Presented to the Royal Society of Arts
I. FOOD, NUTRITION, AND HEALTH
A discussion of the principles of nutrition, health and the experimental method. Food and physical efficiency and the freedom of well fed animals from disease.
II. RELATION OF CERTAIN FOOD ESSENTIALS TO STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION OF THE BODY
Proteins, minerals including calcium, phosphorus, iron and iodine. The vitamins from A to D.
III. NATIONAL HEALTH AND NUTRITION
Deficiency diseases in India. Partial degrees of vitamin insufficiency. Maternal mortality, National ill health and the death rate. Education and building an A1 nation.